The theme this year is "Weaving the Community Together with Food." The inspiration for the theme comes from our annual commemorative holiday ornament. Local fiber artist, Susan Vann, has created a beautiful, hand-woven miniature piece with a historic star pattern.
The Itasca area community works together like interlacing threads to provide a holiday food box to families and individuals who are struggling to meet their daily needs. Children in these families are provided with toys and books.
Threads in many colors are are provided by this generous community:
- Social Service agencies, churches and other charities refer people in need
- Churches and businesses collect toys via the Gingerbread Giving Trees
- Many organizations have toy and fund drives
- Volunteers sort and pack toy bags and food boxes
- Site coordinators at nine locations throughout Itasca County and Hill City organize and distribute the toy bags and food boxes to people in their local community
- Hundreds of people donate toys and funds
- Second Harvest stitches the program together to produce food boxes and toy bags for local families and children