Second Harvest North Central Food Bank, in conjunction with Feeding America, announces the second annual Hunger Action Month, a nationwide call-to-action effort to mobilize people everywhere to get involved with ending hunger in America.
One in eight Americans struggles with hunger. That’s why Feeding America and Second Harvest North Central Food Bank are asking everyone to take action during Hunger Action Month and Give a Little, Feed a Lot.
Throughout September, join millions of other Americans in giving a little of yourself …money, time, voice … whatever you can … to feed the hungry in your community.
The goal of Hunger Action Month is to mobilize the public to help feed the people in need, right here in our own community, who don’t have the resources to provide for themselves. This September is our opportunity to create a movement that has a real and lasting impact on our efforts to help our neighbors. Very high unemployment, cuts in work hours and increasing poverty are causing more and more people to turn to Second Harvest and our network of partner agencies for hunger relief. We need help now, more than ever.
The smallest gift can make a big difference to those in need. Each dollar donated to Second Harvest Food Bank provides up to five meals for someone in our community living at risk of hunger. A five dollar donation provides at least 15 meals. Second Harvest can make a little money feed a lot of people.
Participants in Give a Little, Feed a Lot can commit to volunteer, advocate, organize a food drive, or donate to Second Harvest Food Bank.
Local events to coincide with Hunger Action Month include:
· Donate your lunch promotion: Donate what you normally spend on lunch for a day, a week or a month, whatever you can. We will make sure it feeds a lot.
· Pampered Chef demonstration and fundraiser on September 16th at Second Harvest from 2 to 4pm
· Applebee’s Pancake Breakfast September 19th, Grand Rapids Applebee’s 8-10am
· Bloomer’s Garden Center Scare Away Hunger Make a Scarecrow event Sept. 25 and 26th
· The Grand Rapids/Itasca Crop Walk is scheduled for October 4th.
· All events are designed to raise funds and awareness of hunger issues and the important role Second Harvest has in hunger relief in the area. For more information on Hunger Action Month or any of the events, contact Second Harvest at 326.4420.